We have been thinking about discovering unique, local, food dishes and have come across a few sites we find extremely innovative and helpful. In the very near future, we at tapviva hope to work with all the companies below to provide comprehensive restaurant and dish reviews throughout the tapviva ordering process.
- SporkHub – Find local top dishes, add your own critique and share with friends. Create a to-do list of dishes you would like to try. Can also access online. Available for the iPhone.
- FoodSpotting – Find local dishes, then mark it was “want” and/or “nom”. Search for similar dishes. Create local food guides using already created dishes, or have a gorgeous pictorial view of well known guides such as the 7×7 Big Eat guide. Available for iPhone, Android and web.
- Chewsy – Use GPS technology to find local dishes; get ideas for what to order before you arrive at a restaurant. And now, add pictures to any dish. Currently available for iPhone.
- Grubcrawl – A social tour of local restaurants. Visit three different restaurants on a tour, and try three unique dishes. Make new friends along the way.
- Urbanspoon – Sort by type of food, price point and neighborhood, the app returns restaurants that meet your criteria in a slotmachine type interface. Focus on discovering new restaurants, no emphasis on specific dishes. Use the app on iPhone, Android and Blackberry.
Please let us know which of these apps/sources for local food discovery you use and why! Are there any that we missed? Please share!